Day in and day out we work tirelessly all so we can live comfortably and have nice things. On top of working at our jobs, we also perform various roles such as friend, parent, and spouse. We’re doing this while also trying to take care of ourselves and keep our identities. Needless to say, there is a lot going on and it is difficult to maintain without becoming exhausted.
Exhaustion can lead to various health and performance issues including poor decision making, headaches, body aches, slowed response time, mood, impaired coordination, and lowered immune system. Pretty soon you see a snowball effect when minor issues turn into major ones. To prevent exhaustion and the problems that come with it, it is vital to slow down and take care of yourself. Here are some ways to help:
- Exercise regularly even if you just go for a walk of do some yoga. It helps stimulate your brain while at the same time gets your body active.
- Meditate or take some time for yourself. This is a good way to re-focus your energy and clear your mind.
- Eat a balanced diet. Your body needs certain nutrients to function properly. Cut back on the caffeine, sugars, and fast food.
- Get enough sleep. If you wake up early, you need to go to bed earlier. Be sure you’re getting at least seven hours of sleep everyday.
- You don’t have to do everything yourself. Ask for help from friends, family, spouse, or co-workers. You may find that your day is more enjoyable by taking a little off your plate while at the same time spending it with the people closest to you.
- Need to set boundaries. For example:
- Quitting time is at the same time every day
- Have a cleaning schedule where you clean once a week and not everyday. It’s okay if your house isn’t spotless.
- Tell people “No”. It’s hard to do, but sometimes you need to make yourself unavailable for others.
Don’t add to your stress load
People put unnecessary stress on themselves by working to much and requiring their world to be in a constant state of perfection. Know that it is not the end of the world if you don’t meet these self-imposed requirements. You don’t need to keep pushing yourself to the breaking point. Take the time to relax and enjoy what you’ve created for yourself. Otherwise, all of that hard work is worthless.